This is a really hearty soup, I remember busy Saturdays in my parents house with 8 of us coming and going and Mom would always have a pot of hot soup on the go.
4 Large leeks
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium chopped onion
11/2 pints chicken stock
10fl oz Milk
Salt and black pepper
Seasoning (chopped chives & cream)
- Trim off top and roots of leeks and throw away tough outer leeks.
- Spilt in two lengthways, slice thinly and wash thoroughly.
- Melt butter, add leeks, potatoes and onions.
- Cover and sweat for 15mins.
- Add stock, milk and bring to a simmer, cover and simmer for 20mins.
- Liquidize and season with salt and pepper.
- Add chopped chives and cream to season.